Before making your next app purchase, Silvia Rosenthal Toilsano is here to help. Her great guide helps ensure parents and teachers that their app purchases have educational value beyond pure entertainment.
Before dishing out your credit card information in the App Store, take a step back and assess the elements that Toilsano poses:
1) Value – Does this app bring something new to the table? Does it motivate the learner on a new level?
2) Connection – Does the app relate to the curriculum taught in school? Is the content relevant?
3) Possibility – Does the app have the potential of getting the learner to apply certain skills beyond the initial context? What is the app’s impact?
4) Difference – What is the difference in using the app as opposed to teaching the material yourself? What is your opportunity cost?
5) Potential – Will this app transform the learner’s thinking?
Many apps these days are assuring parents and teachers of their ability to entertain and educate students. As parents and teachers it is critical that we encourage parents to become critical consumers, thoughtfully questioning the quality of the apps we are purchasing.
Learn to be an active learner, and assess the educational impact of the tech tools you purchase. What are the qualities you look for when purchasing an app or eBook for your child? Share your pointers with the Bon community below!
Keep Calm and Learn On,
Image available through CC Licensure from OpenSourceWay